Minister of Music
Zion Lutheran Church is seeking an energetic and creative Minister of Music who will oversee, encourage, and coordinate the music of this congregation in the church and community.
Highlights of Duties include:
- Providing choral, vocal, and instrumental music for services of worship, in partnership with the clergy and organists.
- Leadership of the Senior Choir, including weekly rehearsals and participation in Sunday worship from September – May; and arranging volunteer music during summer Sunday worship.
- Facilitating participation by children and youth in the Sunday School music program and in the worship life of the congregation.
- Purchasing of choral and vocal music and maintaining the congregation’s music library;
A full scope of duties will be discussed at interview with successful applicants.
Interested and qualified persons are invited to submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
We appreciate all applications, however; only selected applicants will be interviewed.
Deadline for submission of applications: Friday, April 27, 2018.
- Music is an integral part of the life of this congregation. As a partner in the ministry of this congregation, the Minister of Music exercises an important ministry that reaches out to persons throughout the congregation and community.
- The Minister of Music recognizes and facilitates the pastoral dimension of this ministry.
- The music ministry of the congregation involves the Minister of Music as a leader, an educator, and as a skilled musical resource within this congregation. The Minister of Music will be diligent in preparation and performance and will cooperate with others so that the worship life of this congregation may give glory to God and inspire all who gather to worship and praise our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.
- The Minister of Music will meet regularly with the pastor and organist(s) to facilitate collegiality in the congregation’s worship and music ministry.
- The worship life of this congregation includes a variety of traditions and styles in liturgical, instrumental, and choral music; the use of a variety of instruments (including handbells) and liturgies may be expected.
- The Minister of Music, in concert with the organists, shall schedule and provide choral, vocal, and instrumental music for services of worship as required by the clergy and congregation.
- The Minister of Music is responsible for the leadership of the Senior Choir, rehearsing once weekly from the middle of September to the end of May. During the summer months when the choir will break, the Minister of Music shall endeavor to schedule volunteer musicians for Sunday worship.
- The Minister of Music shall schedule extra rehearsals for regularly scheduled services that require additional preparation.
- The Minister of Music shall publish, for the benefit of choir members, organists, and clergy, an anthem and solo calendar encompassing a period of no fewer than six weeks at a time
- The Minister of Music shall submit to the church office, no later than Wednesday morning, all information desired for inclusion in the service bulletin.
- The Minister of Music shall create and deploy the music program of the Sunday School and facilitate participation by the children and youth of the Zion community in the worship life of the congregation.
- The Minister of Music shall be responsible for the purchase of all choral and vocal music and music supplies, and the hiring of instrumental and vocal soloists.
- The Minister of Music shall maintain the music library in an orderly fashion and maintains, at the congregation’s expense, a suitable number of copies of musical pieces to enable performance of those pieces by the choir or other ensembles. The Minister of Music shall abide by copyright laws, maintain relevant copyright licenses for music, and report usage as needed to relevant stakeholders.
- The Minister of Music shall pursue professional development as appropriate and provide opportunities for the choir members to attend and/or participate in festivals, workshops, and other community outreach events.
- The Minister of Music will participate in occasional worship services and concerts in the community in partnership with the clergy and choir.
- The Minister of Music shall be a member ex officio with voice and vote of the Worship and Music Committee.
Estimated hours: 12 – 15 hours per week.
Starting Date: August 1, 2018
Adopted by Congregational Council March 20, 2018